Jane Lauer Barker
Jane Lauer Barker concentrates in labor and employment law and litigation, including employee benefits litigation. She counsels clients, litigates in both state and federal courts, and regularly handles a variety of administrative and regulatory proceedings, including wage and hour investigations, NLRB proceedings and employment discrimination complaints. Prior to joining Pitta LLP, Ms. Barker was partner at Pryor Cashman Sherman & Flynn LLP. Ms. Barker previously served as the Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Labor Bureau in the New York State Attorney General’s Office, where she oversaw civil and criminal enforcement of state labor laws and engaged in appellate litigation on behalf of the state of New York. She represents the state of New York in numerous appeals before the New York State Court of Appeals and the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ms. Barker is a member of the bar of the state of New York and is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States. She is a member of the American Bar Association. She received a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from the University of Wisconsin- Madison and a Juris Doctor from the Universality of Wisconsin Law School in 1976, where she received the American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law.
Areas Of Practice
- Labor Law
- Employment Law
- Employee Benefits
- New York, 1977
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1977
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1977
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2010
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin
- J.D. - 1976
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B.S. - 1973
- Major: Journalism
- Major: Mass Communication
- N.Y. State Conf. of Blue Cross & Blue Shield Plans v. Travelers ins. Co., 514 U.S. 645, 1995, U.S. Supreme Ct.
- Montefiore Med. Ctr. v. Teamsters Local 272, 642 F.3d 321, 2011, New York Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Stephenson v Hotel Employees and Rest. Employees Union Local 100 of the AFL, 6 N.Y.3d 265, 2006, ew York Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Unite Here Locl 100 v. Westchester Hills Golf Club, Inc., U.S. Dist. LEXIS 16356, 2016, S.D.N.Y
- Local Union No. 1 of the United Assn. of Journeyman & Apprentices of the Plumbing & Pipe Fitting Indus. v. Bass Plumbing & Heating Corp., U.S. Dist. LEXIS 183085, 2014, E.D.N.Y.
- North Shore- Long Island Jewish Health Sys. inc. v. Local 272 Welfare Fund, WL 174212, 2013, S.D.N.Y
- Campbell v. Kane. Kessler, P.C., U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10059, 2004, S.D.N.Y, Aff'd 144 F. App'x 127
- I.L.G.W.U. Nat'l Ret. Fund v. Vaco Holding Co., 950 F. Supp 568, 1997, S.D.N.Y
- Bldg. Contractors Ass'n V. State, 218 A.D.2d 722, 1995, 2d Dept.
- NYSA-ILA Med. & Clinical Serbs. Fund v. Axelrod, 27 F.3d 823, 1994, 2d Cir.
Professional Associations And Memberships
- American Bar Association, 2013 to 2016
Past Employment Positions
- Pryor Cashman Sherman & Flynn LLP, Partner
- Labor Bureau, New York State Attorney General’s Office, Assistant Attorney General
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal advisor to YWCA of Yonkers, NY, 2010 to 2016